[XeTeX] I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 9 18:30:31 CEST 2007

Am 09.08.2007 um 17:19 schrieb maxwell:

>> One thing needs to be taken into account: it's the difference between
>> a personal and a system wide installation.
>
> Meaning I should log in as root and run the corresponding fmtutil-sys
> commands, right?

No. When your account is allowed to do administrators' tasks (install
a TeX distribution) then you can do these 'tasks of elevated
privileges' from the command line via

	sudo -H <command and options>

and in case of TeX it is

	sudo -H <command>-sys <options>

To correct your XeLaTeX problem, try this:

	sudo -H echo "xelatex xetex   language.dat    -etex xelatex.ini" >>
`kpsewhich fmtutil.cnf`

Don't try re-type the command! > is two > and not » and ` is not ',
it stands in front of the last word in the subject. Then try to build
xelatex.fmt as root. If you want to use your own and personal format
and configuration:

--
Greetings

   Pete

The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for
«entrepreneur».                              - George W. Bush