[XeTeX] Default values of \pdfpage{width, height}

Andreas Matthias amat at kabsi.at
Fri Aug 3 02:42:56 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> Andreas Matthias wrote:
>>>
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> %\pdfpagewidth=\paperwidth
>>> %\pdfpageheight=\paperheight
>>> \begin{document}
>>> aaa
>>> \newpage
>>> \begingroup
>>> \pdfpagewidth=80mm
>>> \pdfpageheight=150mm
>>> bbb
>>> \newpage
>>> \endgroup
>>> ccc
>>> \end{document}

> What happens in your example is that if the parameters are initially
> unset, you get the driver's default paper size. Then you set them
> within a group, and xetex writes a papersize \special at the
> beginning of the second page.

Agreed.

> Then you end the group, and the
> parameters become unset.... so no further \specials are written, and
> the setting from within the group persists beyond where you'd expect.

The local settings within the group persist beyond the group. Hmm...
I didn't want to say it, but I would call this a bug. Anyway, does this
`feature' have any advantage? Or is it used by anyone? If not I think
it wouldn't hurt to change this behaviour.

> So another option might be to
> write a "papersize=default" \special instead if the \pdfpage
> {width,height} parameters are unset; the driver would then revert to
> its default media size (from a config-file or command-line).

That should be sufficient. I agree with that.

Ciao
Andreas