[XeTeX] tex-text and more quotes

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 07:11:45 CEST 2007

On 02/08/2007, at 4:51 AM, Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

> It would useful if tex-text contained more mappings:
>   ,, → „ U+201E
>   << → « U+00AB

This would create a problem in mathematics, where
  a. spacing rules are different,
and
  b.  all of  ,,  <<  and  >>  have legitimate usages,
in some fields.

Maybe this isn't a problem, when the maths is suitably
delimited. But if the idea in future is to have a single font
for both text and math, then there may need to be different
mappings according to whether in math or not.

>>> → » U+00BB

(I presume this was meant to be >>  or  &gt;&gt;
   with the mail app showing it wrong.)

> as in standard T1 fonts. I don’t know what else T1 fonts contain.

Are you sure it is related to the T1 encoding ?
The only mention of << and >> shorthands within the LaTeX Companion
is in connection with Babel, for Spanish and French.
This is not due to the font-encoding.

> --
>    __("<         Marcin Kowalczyk
>    \__/       qrczak at knm.org.pl