[XeTeX] \font syntax

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Aug 1 01:07:16 CEST 2007

Am 31.07.2007 um 13:27 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

>> but why not use the 'tfm search' as a fallback then? if a "name"
>> cannot be resolved, search for a tfm one instead
>
> As I mentioned, XeTeX used to do this, but I'm not entirely convinced
> it's a good idea. E.g., error messages may be less confusing if it's
> clear which kind of font (or search) is being requested. But I'm
> interested to hear what people think.... anyone else with opinions on
> this?

There isn't much use of 7 or 8 bit encoded fonts with sometimes very,
very strange encodings. It's OK when XeTeX supports CM, and even when
xdvipdfmx has "native" support for TFM. Omega/Lambda's OFM files can
offer more ...

Searching first for the font name is the proper choice. The fallback
routine should also include a search for PostScript fonts – they can
have real nice features!

One feature should exist: passing the name of an additional font
directory, on CD for example, to be able to test fonts before
installation.

--
Greetings

   Pete