[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 23 13:22:20 CEST 2007

Le 23 avr. 07 à 13:05, Will Robertson a écrit :

> As I see it, this package will be a framework for providing a language
> syntax to LaTeX documents, performing at the very least a change in
> hyphenation patterns and a hook for *whatever* else we wish to do
> (mostly, change fonts and writing directions).
>
> *All* else is optional, and can be implemented later. Even that small
> amount (which shouldn't take too much effort to produce) would be
> helpful at this stage, I think, allowing people to use their familiar
> babel markup without the problems of assumed legacy font existence.

Personally I would see, by decreasing order of importance (which I
think would correspond to the user's view of what's important):

(1) Translation of LaTeX's strings ("section", "chapter", "table of
contents", "list of figures", that sort of things).

(2) Selection of hyphenation pattern, of directionality (left-to-
right, right-to-left, top-to-bottom, bottom-to-top).

(3) Implementation of language-specific typographic "conventions".

(4) Font selection.

I see (1) and (2) as mandatory, and (3) and (4) as optional nay
superfluous and in any case better delegated to the font itself if
technically feasible.

Bruno