[XeTeX] "new-babel", was: Ancient Greek hyphenation

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Sun Apr 22 18:31:26 CEST 2007

Am 22.04.2007 um 12:17 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

> What is the purpose of the package?
> 1. Select hyphenation patterns for the selected language.
> 2. Select a font for this language.
> 3. Setup typing direction (LTR, RTL, TTB) (interface to bidi?)
> 4. Enable OTF support for the selected language. (using fontspec?)
> 5. Enable language specific ligatures (and variants?) (again
> fontspec).
> 6. Selecting a color for the language, make that: Offer an
> interface to
> issue arbitrary commands when selecting a language.
[…]
> What will this package not support:
> - Non-Unicode font encodings.
> - Translated strings for various latex names. (For this we need the
> doclang package which provides a \documentlanguage command.)
> - Language specific date formats. (Use isodate, which already supports
> different formats)

I think the latter two should be an integral part of the upcoming
multilang package, because I usually want these features when I write
in a specific language, without having to take to two additional
commands.

> - Language specific quotation marks, csquotes already offers these.

Agreed, because csquotes gives additional choices to this one.

joachim

Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz     E-Mail: jtr at uni-bonn.de
Institut für Germanistik, Tel.: 0228-737565
Vergleichende Literatur-  Fax: 0228-737479
und Kulturwissenschaft    www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de
der Universität Bonn      53012 Bonn