[XeTeX] Ancient Greek hyphenation

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Thu Apr 19 22:33:43 CEST 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
Apostolos Syropoulos <asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Do not use babel when typesetting Greek documents. Instead use the
> xgreek package. To generate the format I use my own hyphen.cfg file:
>
> \message{Hyphenation patterns for American-English}
> \newlanguage\american
> \begingroup
> \language\american
> \input ushyphmax.tex
> \endgroup
> \input xgrmhyph.tex
> \input xgrahyph.tex
> \endinput
>
> Now in XeLaTeX file you load hyphenation patterns with
> \language=\XXXX I do not use the "standard" babel thing
> because the greek option of the babel package relies on
> (stupid!) font encodings etc.
> Apostolos

Well, if "multi-" in in your multilingual document means "more than 3 languages", and you don't want to investigate existence of separate (and non-standardised) packages for each of these languages, babel can be very useful.

You can easily fix babel's encoding problems: please follow Jonathan's instruction from

http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-January/005748.html

Nikola Lečić