[XeTeX] color directives in RL context

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 17 14:34:10 CEST 2007

Le 17 avr. 07 à 14:25, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> - With fontspec, in right-to-left mode word ordering is reversed, but
> not the individual letters within each word, yielding
>
> 	yz vwx stu pqr mno jkl ghi def abc
>
> - Without fontspec, not only word ordering is reversed but also the
> individual letters within each word, yielding
>
> 	zy xwv uts rqp onm lkj ihg fed cba
>
> Which of these two behaviours is the intended one? Or are things as
> they should?

Answering my own question: the culprit seems to be either the Latin
Modern fonts, or fontspec.

Taking the previous example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\TeXXeTstate=1
\begin{document}
\everypar={\setbox0=\lastbox \beginR \box0 }
abc def ghi jkl mno pqr stu vwx yz
\end{document}

one can try several configurations (on the Mac):

- Call fontspec as above, and use xdv2pdf. Output is nonsense, and
one gets in the console:

## xdv2pdf: use of uninstalled fonts (specified by filename) such as
##   [/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/
lmroman10-regular.otf]
## is not supported; try using the xdvipdfmx driver instead.

- Call fontspec as above, and use xdvipdfmx. Output is:

yz vwx stu pqr mno jkl ghi def abc

- Call fontspec with option [cm-default]. With both xdv2pdf and
xdvipdfmx, output is:

zy xwv uts rqp onm lkj ihg fed cba

Bruno Voisin