[XeTeX] color directives in RL context

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Mon Apr 16 15:21:26 CEST 2007

Hello again,

Now another problem related to right-to-left typesetting which I had
noted a while ago, this time probably a bug (or missing feature) in
xdvipdfmx.

Suppose you insert the command \color{red} within a RL paragraph. The
expected behavior would be that the text that follows would be in red.
This is indeed what one obtains when typesetting with the Omega or Aleph
engines and viewing the result either directly with xdvi or after
conversion with dvipdfmx.

But with xetex+dvipdfmx (as well as with pdftex), the e-TeX directional
directives are not taken into account, so instead of getting this:
(where X represents text in black, R text in red and | the location of
the color directive):

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
RRRRRRRRRRR|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   .RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

one has rather:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX|RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
   .RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My guess is that dvipdfmx (as well as xdvi) knows about Omega
directional primitives, but that we still have to teach him and his
brother xdvipdfmx more about the equivalent e-TeX directional primitives...

Perhaps someone can say whether this also happens with the Mac xdv2pdf
driver?

Thanks in advance,

François