[XeTeX] buggy hyphenation in XeTeX?

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat Apr 14 23:00:57 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2007, at 1:34 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Kew wrote:

>>> Running your example with my current development version
>>> (post-0.996), I get hyphenation of "co-mo".

[...]

The problem is rather weird, since "como" isn't hyphenated, but "ante"
is hyphenated without having to set right or lefthyphenmin. So the
problem with Spanish might be caused by old Spanish hyphenation paterns
(the ones provided by tetex).

The problem is ancient Greek hyphenation, where I get a letter alone in
a line (and the problem is that the author noticed this yesterday). A
way to avoid this would be (I hope) to mark the offending occurrences
with \-. Even if kerning in the word is lost.

> In that case, I suspect something is wrong with the hyphenation
> patterns or language configuration or something like that. To look
> into this, it would be helpful to see the .log of your job, as well
> as the .log from the creation of the xelatex.fmt file. However, I
> think trying your file with a standard TL2007 installation is
> probably a better and quicker way forward.

Installing TL 2007 in my system is not easy because of system
dependencies. I would try first to run it from a Linux livecd. I attach
(compressed) logs of the document, xelatex and xetex. Just in case it
would help.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo