[XeTeX] buggy hyphenation in XeTeX?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Apr 14 19:58:20 CEST 2007

Le 14 avr. 07 à 14:34, Pablo Rodríguez a écrit :

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Running your example with my current development version
>> (post-0.996), I get hyphenation of "co-mo".
>
> Thanks for your answer, Jonathan. Where can I get your current
> development version?

 From the SVN repository. You can get a snapshot of the latest
sources at <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK/>, by using
the "Download tarball" link at the bottom, or using directly the URL
<http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK.tar.gz?view=tar>.

Afterwards you'll need to compile the sources yourself, following the
instructions at <http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_linux#96c5d158> (they apply to both Linux
and Mac OS X).

In case you're on the Mac, I remember Jonathan said while he was
working on integration of XeTeX in TeXLive that at some point the
modifications resulted in a non-working script install-xetex (the
script which, after building xetex with build-xetex, put the various
created files at the appropriate places and then configures what
needs to be configured). I don't know whether the problem is still
present, or whether it has since been solved.

Same applies to xdvipdfmx, where you can get the latest sources from
<http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TRUNK/> or directly
<http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TRUNK.tar.gz?view=tar>.

Don't neglect also the advice on the "XeTeX on Linux" page:
"Additional configure options or environment settings may be needed
if some of the required libraries are not found automatically."

Last time I tried compilation myself (at the end of November last
year), things went as follows (after
downloading the source tarballs on my Desktop, and putting them in
Desktop/xetex and Desktop/xdvipdfmx respectively):

- For XeTeX:

$ cd Desktop/xetex/TRUNK
$ sh build-xetex
$ sudo sh install-xetex

- For xdvipdfmx:

$ cd Desktop/xdvipdfmx/TRUNK
$ sh configure --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX
   --with-ft2lib=/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
   --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
$ make
$ sudo make install

The options for "configure" must all go on the same line in Terminal.

Wait: thinking a bit more, it seems xdvipdfmx needs the kpathsea
libraries during compilation. These are not provided in MacTeX/
TeXLive-2007, but they are in gwTeX (in /usr/local/gwTeX/{include/
kpathsea,lib}/). Hence you'll need to install gwTeX if you wish to
compile xdvipdfmx, and use the above compilation options. The same
restriction doesn't apply to xetex.

And of course you also need to have Xcode installed, in order to be
able to perform a compilation.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin