[XeTeX] buggy hyphenation in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Apr 14 19:46:05 CEST 2007

On 14 Apr 2007, at 1:43 pm, Nikola Lecic wrote:

> Jonathan, considering this and my previous answer to Pablo, can you
> tell me if partial/complete OTF matters here at all? I mean, are
> words in font with full glyph positioning table and all other
> advanced features more unlikely to hyphenate in less desired way in
> XeTeX (like mentioned Greek words)? I'm running TL2007 with FreeBSD
> binaries.

I don't think there's any reason the kind of OTF font should matter.
Hyphenation happens at the character code level, it does not depend
on the glyphs and rules in the font.

What could make a difference (depending how the hyphenation patterns
are written) is the use of precomposed characters (for accented
vowels, etc) versus the use of separate base characters with
combining accents (handled in the OpenType font). Hyphenation
patterns will operate on whatever character sequence is actually
present in the text, and could behave differently for such cases,
unless they are carefully written to take account of the different
representations.