[XeTeX] buggy hyphenation in XeTeX?

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat Apr 14 14:34:12 CEST 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2007, at 12:49 am, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> I'm using xetex-0.995 (probably from the SVN directory) and I don't
>> know
>> whether I have found a bug with hyphenation. See the following
>> document:
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt,draft]{article}
>> \usepackage[spanish]{babel}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \setromanfont{Old Standard}
>> \righthyphenmin=2\lefthyphenmin=2
>> \begin{document}
>> \begin{quotation}
>> Martin Heidegger, filósofo alemán, se sitúa ante nosotros como
>> pensador que declaró el final de la metafísica. Denunció el olvido del
>> ser y apuntó a un nuevo comienzo, más atrás de los orígenes (aunque
>> esto no se haya de entender en sentido cronológico). Se trata de un
>> filósofo que puso de relieve la centralidad de la
>> \end{quotation}
>> \end{document}
>
> Running your example with my current development version
> (post-0.996), I get hyphenation of "co-mo".

Thanks for your answer, Jonathan. Where can I get your current
development version? (Just in case everything else fails, cause I have
weird hyphenations with ancient Greek and I have to submit the book to
its author before Monday morning.)

> One thing to consider is that by default, TeX prefers to avoid
> hyphenation if possible, so even if there's a potential hyphenation
> point, it may not be used if the lines can be broken reasonably well
> without it. To make hyphenation much more likely (on a temporary
> basis), you could try adding
>
>    \pretolerance = -1 % always run the hyphenation pass
>    \hyphenpenalty = -1000 % breaks at hyphenation points are highly
> desirable
>
> Running your sample with these settings, I get hyphenation on *every*
> line! :)

I get the same results as before.

> If you still don't see the expected hyphenation with these settings,
> I think something is misconfigured in your installation. My current
> recommendation would be to use one of the TeX Live-based packages
> (either TL2007 itself, or a redistribution based on it).

There may be something misconfigured on my installation. I will try the
TL 2007 live version.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo