[XeTeX] MacTex install - no math symbols

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 11:12:53 CEST 2007

Hi,

Yesterday I decided to try the MacTeX distribution on Mac OSX. I
already had some tetex one installed using Fink, but for some reason
I never managed to have the XeteX working with it.

Everything works fine using TexShop (both pdflatex and xelatex), but
when I use another editor (Textmate), or in the terminal, Xelatex
fails to find some font mapping stuff,

> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font cmr12 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font lmex10 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font lmsy8 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font cmr8 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font lmmi12 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs
>
> *** fontmap psfonts.map not found; texmf.cnf may be broken
>
> *** font lmsy10 not found in psfonts.map or host system; will
> substitute Helvetica glyphs

I've tried locating these two files, psfonts.map and texmf.cnf and
they do exist, but I believe there is some conflict with my previous
Fink install. I've tried to remove it partially, but there is still
some references to files that were in /sw/share, ... (e.g., locate
texmf.cnf returns /sw/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf while I deleted
this texmf folder tree).

> kpsewhich psfonts.map returns /Users/baptiste/.texlive2007/texmf-
> var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
and
>  kpsewhich texmf.cnf  gives /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/
> texmf.cnf

I've tried updating things with sudo texhash, and sudo updmap, but I
still fails. The resulting pdf contains all the text in the desired
font, but everything in math mode is just unreadable (figures
superimposed on each other, ...).

I've tried reinstalling MacTex again after that with no improvement.

I'd be quite happy to remove completely the Fink distribution if only
I knew how (deleted folders cannot be deleted again!), but the fact
that Texshop works perfectly tells me the MacTeX install must be
working anyway.

Any suggestions welcome!

baptiste