[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx segfault

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Apr 13 10:06:44 CEST 2007

On 12 Apr 2007, at 9:31 pm, Ling F. Zhang wrote:

> So, I look into this further. Looks like xelatex -no-pdf
> produces .xdv file for both, but xdvipdfmx seg. fault with one of
> them:
>
> $ xdvipdfmx -E -vv xetex-utf8.xdv
> DVI Comment:  XeTeX output 2007.04.12:1325
> xetex-utf8.xdv -> xetex-utf8.pdf
> [1<AR-PL-New-Kai(AR PL New Kai:Regular)@9.96pt<NATIVE-FONTMAP:AR-PL-
> New-Kai/H>
> fontmap: AR-PL-New-Kai/H -> /usr/local/share/fonts/odofonts/
> odokai.ttf(Identity-H)
>
> pdf_font>> Input encoding "Identity-H" requires at least 2 bytes.
> pdf_font>> The -m <00> option will be assumed for "/usr/local/share/
> fonts/odofonts/odokai.ttf".
>
> ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
> font **
> (CID:AR-PL-New-Kai)
> pdf_font>> Type0 font "/usr/local/share/fonts/odofonts/odokai.ttf"
> cmap_id=<Identity-H,0> opened at font_id=<AR-PL-New-Kai/H,0>.
>> Segmentation fault

It seems that something about the odokai.ttf font is triggering a bug
in xdvipdfmx. I'll see if I can get hold of that font to reproduce
the fault.

Have you tried specifying other truetype or opentype fonts, to see
whether the failure is specific to this font, or possibly some more
general configuration or installation issue?

> p.s. I am not using xdv2pdf because for some reason my distro
> (gentoo)'s xetex doesn't have that executable.

xdv2pdf exists only on Mac OS X, so xdvipdfmx is the correct (and
only) driver option.