[XeTeX] fontspec and vertical writing with ICU layout

caapv 208 caapv208 at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Apr 5 02:23:07 CEST 2007

I wrote:

> But how can I typeset vertical text with fontspec.
> I have tried the RawFeature, but only the second
> example
> works:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphics,fontspec}
> \begin{document}
> \setmainfont[Script=Kana,RawFeature=vertical]{Kozuka
> Mincho Pro}
> \rotatebox{-90}{紅玉}
> \font\f="Kozuka Mincho Pro:script=kana,vertical"
> \f\rotatebox{-90}{紅玉}
> \end{document}
>
> RawFeature={script=kana,vertical} doesn't work
> either.

I think I got it for the ICU layout.  I haven't
looked into the AAT question raised by Jjgod, though.
In the while() loop in

static void*
loadOTfont(PlatformFontRef fontRef, XeTeXFont font, Fixed
scaled_size, const char* cp1)

the statement
  goto next_option;
is nested one step deeper for "vertical" than for
other options.  Jonathan, is this correct?
So a workaround for the current codebase is to put
either ':' or ';' at the end of "vertical".
Both
[Script=Kana,RawFeature=vertical:]
and
[RawFeature={script=kana,vertical:}]
work with fontspec v1.13a, and there seems no need
for me to keep v1.10 around anymore.

Regards,
SMiyata