[XeTeX] local forms

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Fri Sep 22 14:47:38 CEST 2006

Ralf Stubner wrote:
> Pablo Rodríguez <oinos at web.de> writes:
>
>> BTW, would it be possible to create an option in fontspec called
>> NoLocalForms? I have just realized that the CM Unicode fonts
>> (http://cm-unicode.sourceforge.net/) use the locl to switch from the
>> standard Greek vowels to the mathematical Greek glyphs. And writing in
>> Greek, mixing both looks weird.
>
> \newfontfeature{NoLocalForms}{-locl}
>
> However, it would be better if you reported this as a (severe) bug to
> the font author. This is clear missuse of the 'locl' feature. At least
> if it is defined for any script but 'math'. Is it tied to any script/
> language tag?

Thanks for your answer, Ralf.

The problem here is that the font has these locl substitutions defined
for the Latin script and there for the default language (that is,
latin{dflt}. I don't know if XeTeX should apply these substitutions when
 defining \foreignlanguage{greek} and selecting polunikogreek as an
option in babel.

I'm not sure whether it is possible to define these locl substitutions
for the math, since it is only a baseline script.

Probably the correct tag for this GSUB routines would be mgrk
(http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_tag7.html#mgrk)
instead of locl. I will report this to the font developer).

Pablo