[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx doesn't seem to respect PDF crop areas

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 22 08:39:50 CEST 2006

>> Unfortunately, when I use xelatex with the xdvipdfmx driver, the crop
>> area is not respected for the PDF figures included with
>> \includegraphics or with \XeTeXpdffile. If I use "regular" xelatex or
>> plain latex, things work fine.
>
> What happens if you use dvipdfm.def instead of xetex.def
> by writing as
> \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}
> \usepackage[dvipdfm, ...]{hyperref}
> and creating .bb file for each pdf by
> ebb -c foo.pdf
> before compiling by xelatex.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll let you know how this goes as soon as I get a new ebb compiled.
(There are some dependencies that I don't have... No kpathsea library
from the i-installer (OS X tex package) version of tex, so got to get
that, etc. ugh.) The ebb that comes with the i-installer version of
TeX and XeTeX does not have the appropriate patch.

Even if this approach works, am I correct in assuming that this
constitutes a bug somewhere, or an impedance mismatch between XeTeX
and xdvipdfmx? ("Normal" XeTeX supports all of the different kinds of
PDF areas like crop, media, bleed, etc. directly via the
\XeTeXpdffile command.) I guess my question is: do you think this is
a temporary workaround, or something that I need to get used to doing
in order to run XeTeX with xdvipdfmx?

Zach