[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx doesn't seem to respect PDF crop areas

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri Sep 22 02:32:08 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to use XeTeX (on a Mac; using the latest i-installer
version: 0.995) to typeset my thesis. My figures are stored as letter-
sized PDF files with a PDF crop area set around the actual "figure
area" that should be included.

Unfortunately, when I use xelatex with the xdvipdfmx driver, the crop
area is not respected for the PDF figures included with
\includegraphics or with \XeTeXpdffile. If I use "regular" xelatex or
plain latex, things work fine.

However, with xelatex alone then PDF bookmarks and links made with
the hyperref package do not work in TeXShop or Preview, which is why
I was using the xdvipdfmx driver in the first place.

Short of setting the PDF page size to the crop area for all of my
figures (instead of just setting the crop area; the latter task being
much easier in Illustrator), is there anything I can do to get *both*
working hyperlinks and properly-embedded PDF figures?

Thanks,

Zach Pincus

Program in Biomedical Informatics and Department of Biochemistry
Stanford University School of Medicine