[XeTeX] Problem deciding Family Names

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 15:23:34 CEST 2006

Hi Adam,

2006/9/20, Adam Twardoch <list.adam at twardoch.com>:
> What makes you think that it is a bug in the font? The font is perfectly
> compliant with the OpenType specification.

Sorry for making such a presumption before doing furthur investigation.
I admit that I'm not familiar with OpenType naming rules.

> The style names are formed accordingly. There is absolutely nothing
> wrong with the naming of this font -- on the contrary, it is done
> exactly by the book. However, obviously, XeTeX has a problem in parsing
> the names in the right order of preference.

XeTeX relys on the operating system facilities to locate the font file (such
as fontconfig on Linux and w32tex, or possibly win32 EnumFontFamily APIs
if Jonathan is going to make a native win32 port), do you think the output
fontconfig produces is correct? That is,

Adobe Ming Std,Adobe Ã÷ów Std L,Adobe Ming Std L:style=L,Regular

Regards,
Jiang.