[XeTeX] Multiple Master: Kepler

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Sep 14 23:45:57 CEST 2006

On 14 Sep 2006, at 8:38 pm, Michael Zedler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to use KeplerMM+KeplerExpMM with XeTeX, what is the preferred
> way to do this? The reason why I'm stuck with the MM fonts is that I
> don't like the instances Adobe is shipping as otf, my favourite
> 'regular' shape is 370.555.10.

IF you're using XeTeX on Mac OS X, with the xdv2pdf output driver;

AND you can install your KeplerMM fonts under Mac OS X (which will
mean having them packaged in "suitcase" or LWFN or some such format,
I think, not raw .pfb files as OS X doesn't load those);

AND you ensure that XeTeX uses the ATSUI (not ICU) text engine to
handle this font,

THEN you should be able to use variation axis tags in the \font
command to select the values you want.

So something along the lines of \font\x="KeplerMM/
AAT:weight=370;width=555" might work, given the right conditions.

At this time, xdvipdfmx does not support MM fonts, and neither does
the ICU-based font subsystem, so if you're on Linux or Windows, then
manually creating the instances you want to use is your only option.

I'd be happy to receive patches to address this, but given Adobe's
decision to give up on Multiple Masters at least as an end-user
technology (as far as I can tell), it's not at the top of my priority
list.