[XeTeX] Nested \textit in an italic fontinstance

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 13:07:38 CEST 2006

Bruno wrote:
> With respect to the LaTeX way of dealing with fonts, I think then
> that we have a problem for fontspec: \emph corresponds to the
> behaviour of /I, but not \textit. When a face is already italic,
> fontspec should define \textit to do nothing, and \emph to do what /I
> does. But, of course, how could fontspec know that a face is already
> italic?

Well, it's possible to look at the slant of the font, but that's not
always reliable.
By the way, \emph doesn't correspond to /I, because "/I" will never
be iteratively applied. It's only in the setup that this slightly non-
intuitive behaviour occurs.

Jonathan wrote:
>> Incidentally, you might expect /B to act similarly, toggling bold on
>> or off, but it doesn't. Instead, it always tries to find a bolder
>> version of the font that was given.

Wah?!? I could see that being useful in the future.
Hmm, if that's the case I've never seen it -- /B seems to me to
always snap to the most bold font available. But maybe my testing
hasn't been wide enough.

Cheers,

Will