[XeTeX] Nested \textit in an italic fontinstance

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 11:14:09 CEST 2006

On 13/09/2006, at 8:16 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 13.09.2006 um 00:02 schrieb Will Robertson:
>
>> This is just a side-effect of XeTeX's auto-font identification.
>
> This side-effect should be stopped.

Jonathan? I'm not fussed either way...

>> What would you expect to happen trying to find the italic version
>> of an already italic font?
>
> The same that {\itshape Italic \textit{Italic Too}} in LaTeX
> produces? There is no other italic shape of an already italic font.

That's not what he wrote.
The OP created a new LaTeX font family selected with "\italic"
(as if you wrote \newcommand\italic{\fontfamily{xyz}\selectfont})
and fontspec tried to "fill in the blanks" by using XeTeX's auto
font recognition to obtain the matching italic and bold shapes to match
up with \textit and \textbf.

The equivalent in Plain XeTeX would be
   \font\1="Myriad Pro Italic"
   \1 test
   \font\2="Myriad Pro Italic/I" % what's the italic shape of an
italic font?!?
   \2 surely this should be italic too? but maybe not

Will