[XeTeX] performance on Windows machines

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Sep 12 11:49:46 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> In general, yes; though xetex uses 16-bit character codes and bigger
> catcode/lccode/sfcode/etc tables, which gives it a bigger memory
> footprint, bigger .fmt files, etc. So initialization takes a little
> longer, and cache misses are probably more common. It is also (by
> default) interpreting UTF-8 rather than reading raw bytes from the
> input, so there's the overhead of checking the byte values, even if

this may take some more time, but doing the utf in macros is definitely
slower -)

> Right; and on balance pdftex will surely be more efficient in terms
> of raw CPU usage, as it generates the PDF directly from tex's
> internal memory structures, rather than encoding this as DVI and then
> reinterpreting the DVI codes and generating PDF.

it depends, dvipdfmx is pretty fast and has a different way of dealing
with fonts; i would not be surprised if dvipdfmx's backend is faster
than pdftex's but it's probably compensated by the intermediate data
stream/file
> And this is what allows xetex to catch up with (and even overtake)
> pdftex on a multiprocessor machine. It's faster to generate DVI than
> to generate PDF (no need for all that font handling, for one thing!),
> and the overhead of PDF generation gets offloaded to a separate
> processor.

sure, but nowadays we need more than just text and dvi can only handle
that by means of specials which then must be interpreted
> (Once you start handling complex OpenType layout features, though,
> all this usually gets swamped anyway!)

indeed -) same for hz in pdftex. features and quality have their price; no problem

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE