[XeTeX] pdfpages and XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Sep 8 00:01:40 CEST 2006

Le 7 sept. 06 à 22:01, Pablo Rodríguez a écrit :

> I have to insert a 20-page PDF document into a XeTeX document (both
> use
> the same paper size). I have tried to use pdfpages, but I guess they
> don't fit together (it seems to have problems with the driver and it
> doesn't find the \includepdf command).

Yes, apparently pdfpages.sty is only distributed with driver files
for pdfTeX and VTeX. In gwTeX:

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/pdfpages/pppdftex.def /
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/pdfpages/ppvtex.def

 From quick inspection of these files, it seems far from trivial to
write a driver file for XeTeX (i.e., for either xdv2pdf or xdvipfmx).

> I guess xdvipdfmx can handle PDF documents (since dvipdfm does it). Is
> there any way to embed PDF documents with multiple pages in XeTeX?

I've embedded once a PDF document inside a XeTeX one by calling
\includegraphics directly, but each page of the document was
available as an individual PDF file:

\setlength{\fboxsep}{0pt}
\null\vspace{-\baselineskip}\vspace{-\parskip}\vfill%
\resizebox{!}{\textheight}{\fbox{\includegraphics{page1.pdf}}}%
\vfill
\newpage
\null\vspace{-\baselineskip}\vspace{-\parskip}\vfill%
\resizebox{!}{\textheight}{\fbox{\includegraphics{page2.pdf}}}
\vfill
\newpage
\null\vspace{-\baselineskip}\vspace{-\parskip}\vfill%
\resizebox{!}{\textheight}{\fbox{\includegraphics{page3.pdf}}}
\vfill

and so forth. The \fbox is here to draw a frame around each page.
[Note added in proof ;-) As I'm re-reading this, here comes a message
from Jonathan Kew implying that the above would work in XeTeX by
replacing \includegraphics{page1.pdf} with \includegraphics[page=1]
{mydoc.pdf} etc.]

That said, ConTeXt is provided with a script texexec which includes,
among other things, the possibility to manipulate PDF files
(concatenating files, rearranging pages, and much more). Try "man
texexec" in Terminal (texexec is included in gwTeX), and look for
example at the --pdfcombine and --pdfselect flags.