[XeTeX] XeTeX and hyperref bookmarks

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 5 02:07:57 CEST 2006

Hi Herb, Pablo, and others

On 05/09/2006, at 9:51 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 4, 2006, at 5:50 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> Will,
>>
>> just accidentally I discovered that if I type \XeTeX in a PDF
>> bookmark
>> (using hyperref), I get "XEps: gsave currentpoint currentpoint
>> translate
>>   scale neg exch neg exch translatetops: currentpoint grestore
>> moveto11to--1TeX".

You need to have a completely separate expansion for \XeTeX
for use with the hyperref macros that handle bookmarks.

use the  \pdfstringdefDisableCommands   macro,
e.g. as follows:

\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{\def\XeTeX{XeTeX}}

You might want to replace the first 'e' with the "reverse-e" character.
Sorry, its code-point doesn't spring immediately to mind.

>> I guess it would be possible to simply get XeTeX, the same way it is
>> posible to get TeX in PDF bookmarks when typing \TeX (or even LaTeX2e
>> when typing \LaTeX2e). (I'm afraid I don't know how to do it.)

\pdfstringdefDisableCommands{%
  \def\TeX{TeX}%
  \def\LaTeX{LaTeX}%
  \def\LaTeXe{LaTeX-2\epsilon}
}

where \epsilon may need to be adjusted to give the correct glyph too.

If you use  \usepackage[unicode]{hyperref}
then the \epsilon should already be adjusted for this.
However, the 'unicode' option prepares Bookmarks for  pdfTeX.
I'm not yet familiar with how it works with the  dvipdfm  driver.

>> Thanks,
>>

>> Pablo
>
> Howdy,
>
> Use the xltxtra package. It defines \TeX, \LaTeX, \XeTeX and \XeLaTeX
> and a way to adjust the kerning, etc., for fine tuning with different
> fonts, etc.

Sorry Herb, this is quite irrelevant. Bookmarks take pure strings.
There is no place for kerning or vertical positioning.

> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Hope this helps,