[XeTeX] Greek Unicode fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Sep 4 15:13:54 CEST 2006

On 4 Sep 2006, at 1:12 pm, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Palatino Linotype has also some problems with kerning. "\emph{V},"
> output such a result as it were a blank space between V and the comma.

I haven't looked at most of the issues mentioned (and don't have all
those fonts), but this one in particular caught my eye. Part, at
least, of the problem in this example is that the V and comma would
be in two different fonts (italic and regular), and therefore there
cannot be a kern pair defined for this combination (either in the
traditional TeX world, where they would have two different TFM files,
or in XeTeX where separate GPOS tables would be used; neither
technology provides for automatic kerning across a font-change).

According to some typographers, punctuation should be set in the same
font as the word it follows; that would suggest
"\emph{V,}", which probably looks better. (But I can understand that
"\emph{V}," might be preferred, at least in some situations.)