[XeTeX] Display quality of fonts

Peter Heslin p.j.heslin at dur.ac.uk
Thu Oct 26 17:39:08 CEST 2006

Christoph Bier <christoph.bier at web.de> writes:

> AFAICS XeTeX always embeds OpenType fonts as type 1 CID in PDF
> files. Unfortunately xpdf---my favourite PDF viewer---renders those
> fonts badly (t1lib and FreeType are enabled).

Yes, it's really annoying that xpdf and the viewers that descend from
the same codebase, such as Evince, etc., display files with embedded
Adobe OpenType fonts somewhat badly, especially at small sizes.  I had
assumed that this was because the support for rendering CFF glyphs was
lacking when compared to the type 1 and truetype rasterizers (in this
case, there is nothing that XeTeX can do about it).  But you imply that
it is because of the way the fonts are embedded -- have you done any
investigation to pinpoint the problem?

Peter

--
Peter Heslin (http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin)