[XeTeX] Hoefler Text, Swashes, and Intel Macs

Don Goodman degoodma at artsci.wustl.edu
Thu Oct 26 05:04:45 CEST 2006

Hey all,

I've been using xelatex/fontspec.sty for quite some time now, to
wonderful effect. I typeset all my documents in Hoefler Text, and
have never had a problem with swashes before. But I recently upgraded
to a MacBook...and now I have no control over swashes! I use xetex
0.995 and fontspec.sty 1.12

Here is a tex file:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\frenchspacing
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text,Contextuals=
{NoWordInitial,NoWordFinal,NoLineInitial,NoLineFinal},Ligatures=
{Common}]{Hoefler Text}

\begin{document}
\textit{where is all the vegemite}
\end{document}

In the output, I get (among many, many others) the following
(surprising!) errors:

Package fontspec Warning: AAT feature
'Contextuals=NoWordInitial' (8,1) not ava
ilable in font "Hoefler Text Italic/AAT" at 12.0pt on input line 9.

Package fontspec Warning: AAT feature 'Contextuals=NoWordFinal' (8,3)
not avail
able in font "Hoefler Text Italic/AAT" at 12.0pt on input line 9.

Package fontspec Warning: AAT feature
'Contextuals=NoLineInitial' (8,5) not ava
ilable in font "Hoefler Text Italic/AAT" at 12.0pt on input line 9.

Package fontspec Warning: AAT feature 'Contextuals=NoLineFinal' (8,7)
not avail
able in font "Hoefler Text Italic/AAT" at 12.0pt on input line 9.

And, in the final PDF file, the sentence has line initial and final
swashes, but not word initial and final.

If I set the contextuals to
{WordInitial,WordFinal,NoLineInitial,NoLineFinal}
I get similar errors to the ones above (WordInitial not available,
WordFinal not available) and identical pdf output.

Near as I can tell, the font file is the same as the one on my PPC
iBook; is this something about AAT on Intel Macs? Is there a fix?

With thanks
Don Goodman