[XeTeX] Experiences with XeTeX on Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Tue Oct 24 18:50:24 CEST 2006

On 24 Oct 2006, at 4:57 pm, Ralf Stubner wrote:

> Is the yearly release cycle suitable for XeTeX? From my point of view
> XeTeX is still a moving target warrenting a separate package. At least
> we from the Debian TeX Team would prefer to have XeTeX in a separate
> package.

That's a fair comment. Yes, I expect xetex to remain a "moving
target".... at least I intend to try and keep it moving!

My hope is that TL2006 will include a stable, usable release of xetex
that will be available to any and all TL users over the coming year
who may wish to try it. But I expect there to be a number of new
xetex releases after TL2006 is finalized, and before TL2007 comes
around, so providing a "xetex update" package would also be useful
for those who wish to keep up with the latest versions.

At the very least, the supporting infrastructure in TL2006 (settings
in .cnf files, etc) will be much better than was present in TL2005 or
teTeX. Many xetex updates will then involve nothing but replacing the
binaries and .pool file, and rebuilding the format files.