[XeTeX] Experiences with XeTeX on Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Edgy Eft

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Tue Oct 24 17:57:55 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew schrieb am 24.10.2006 14:17:

> Thanks for the notes. Some comments below:

Thanks for your explanations.

> On 24 Oct 2006, at 10:28 am, Christoph Bier wrote:

[...]

>> that is not used here by xelatex
>> because the newer one is found first ($TEXMFHOME is searched before
>> $TEXMFLOCAL). For some reason I can't remember I need the new
>> url.sty (ver 3.2). But even if I copy XeTeX's url.sty in the
>> directory with the document to compile (Will Robertson's XeTeX
>> reference guide (v0.2)) I get another undefined control sequence
>> (this is still true if I copy all .sty and .tex files provided by
>> XeTeX in this directory):
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> \Gm at checkdrivers ...fined \else \ifnum \pdfoutput
>>                                                   =\@ne
>> \Gm at setdriver {pdfte...
>> l.71 \begin{document}
>
> I think this means that you're missing one or more of the .cfg files
> (for packages like geometry.sty or crop.sty) that are included with
> xetex. [...]

Yes, I found out that xelatex searches the wrong path and I don't
know why. I compiled a file called xetexref.tex:

chris at lotus:/tmp$ grep -i hyperref.cfg xetexref.log
(/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.cfg
File: hyperref.cfg 2002/06/06 v1.2 hyperref configuration of TeXLive
and teTeX
chris at lotus:/tmp$ kpsewhich hyperref.cfg
/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/xelatex/hyperref.cfg
chris at lotus:/tmp$ head -2 `kpsewhich hyperref.cfg`
\ProvidesFile{hyperref.cfg}%
  [2006/06/07 v1.2b hyperref configuration of XeTeX]

This is also true for other files like graphics.cfg and geometry.cfg
provided by XeTeX. But /usr/share/texmf-tetex/ should be the last
path to be searched:

chris at lotus:~$ kpsewhich -expand-path='$TEXMF'
/home/chris/.texmf-config:/home/chris/.texmf-var:/home/chris/texmf:
/etc/texmf:/var/lib/texmf:/usr/local/share/texmf:/usr/share/texmf:
/usr/share/texmf-tetex

(I manually broke the line above.)

And there's the following:

chris at lotus:~$ grep xelatex /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf
TEXINPUTS.xelatex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//

I'll fix this later.---There's another problem:

After copying the right files to the directory containing
xetexref.tex and removing font specifications like
"\font\warnock="Warnock Pro/I/S=5:+smcp" at 12pt" I succeed
compiling xetexref.tex. But compiling one of my .tex fails. Even
after removing all packages loading different fonts than CM I got:

(/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/base/ucmtt.fd)
! Font \zf at basefont="" not loadable: installed font not found.
<to be read again>
                   \zf at family@fontdefcmtt
l.378

Is there a document describing the pitfalls when migrating from
(pdf)latex to xelatex? And maybe another document that describes how
to install OpenType fonts in Debian Sarge or GNOME =/?

[...]

>> (BTW: Edgy ships with TeXLive debs besides the teTeX debs. Will
>> dependencies of XeTeX be adapted for TeXLive users? IMHO it makes
>> sense because Thomas Esser doesn't make new releases of teTeX any
>> more.)
>
> Yes, that would make sense.
>
> Better still, we're aiming for xetex to be included in TeX Live 2006,
> so that separate "add-on" packaging will no longer be needed.

That'd be nice!

>> I built my own debs again (now on Ubuntu Edgy) but with the same
>> results (same message as above).
>
> I don't have an Edgy machine yet, and won't have an opportunity to
> try this any time soon, but could it be because /bin/sh is no longer
> bash but dash?

I don't think so:

chris at skull:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash