[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt not found

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Fri Oct 13 10:45:57 CEST 2006

Hi,

since installing the latest TeX update with i-installer a few days
ago, I receive the following errror message when trying to comple a
document with xelatex (in TeXShop):

This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.995 (Web2C 7.5.5)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xelatex.fmt
fmtutil: format directory `/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c'
is not writable.
I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!

When trying to create xelatex.fmt manually using
sudo fmtutil-sys --fmtdir /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c --
byfmt=xelatex
an error occurs in the Hungarian hyphenation patterns (encoding
problems?):
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/huhyphn.tex
Huhyphn - hungarian hyphenation patterns v20031107
! Nonletter.
l.33 .ad<E0><B1><B1>
?
! Emergency stop.
l.33 .ad<E0><B1><B1>
End of file on the terminal!

Since I don't know a lot (i.e., almost nothing) about the basic
foundations of TeX formats, I thought someone might have a helpful
hint how to overcome this problem [disabling these Hungarian
hyphenation patterns would be a viable alternative for now, since I
know even less Hungarian, but I guess this wouldn't solve the actual
problem...].

Regards,

	Bernhard