[XeTeX] Fonts for (Xe)TeX use

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 9 13:07:04 CEST 2006

Some time ago I posted a list of additional fonts, that I had
installed gradually on OS X as a result of their mention here or on
the OS X TeX list. Some of them were bundled with applications (Adobe
Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Mathematica), and to use them I thought it was
needed to copy them from the application bundle to the OS X font
folders (/Library/Font or ~/Library/Font).

This was wrong: OS X includes a mechanism for using fonts outside
these folders. I realized this when installing Linotype FontExplorer,
which by default points to the additional font directory "/Library/
Application Support/Adobe/Fonts" used by Adobe applications. However,
I was willing to avoid relying on a 3rd-party application, such as
FontExplorer, for using those fonts.

After looking at the Font Book help today, it turns out there is a
fairly simple solution: add new font libraries. Which works as follows:

> Adobe Reader fonts
> ==================
>
> MinionPro, MyriadPro, CourierStd, AdobePiStd: Adobe Reader serif,
> sans serif, monospaced and dingbat fonts
> Available in OTF format inside the application bundle on OS X
> I'm unsure whether the AR license allows them to be copied from the
> application bundle to the general OS font directory (/Library/Fonts/
> on OS X), in order for them to become available to all other
> applications; it suspect if it didn't, then that wouldn't have been
> suggested here

Simply create, in Font Book, a new library, Adobe say, and add to it
the content of /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts.

Given I have both Adobe Reader and Acrobat installed, I'm not sure
whether this folder is shared by both Acrobat and Reader, or used
only by the former. In case Reader doesn't use it, and you've only
Reader not Acrobat, then you should instead add the content of "/
Applications/Adobe Reader 7.0.8/Adobe Reader 7.0.8.app/Contents/MacOS/
Resource/Font" to the library.

> Mathematica fonts
> =================
>
> Mathematica Fonts: the math fonts created for and used by Mathematica
> Available inside the application bundle
> Available in Mac-style Truetype (DFONT) and PFA format at <http://
> support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/macintosh/general/
> latestfonts.html>
> Available in Windows-style TrueType (TTF) and PFA format at <http://
> support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/windows/general/
> latestfonts.html>
> Available in Unix-style bitmap (BDF) and PFA format at <http://
> support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/general/
> latestfonts.html>
> LaTeX support available inside the application bundle and from
> <http://phong.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kuska/>

Similarly, create, in Font Book, a new library, Wolfram say, and add
to it the content of "/Applications/Mathematica 5.2.app/SystemFiles/
Fonts/TrueType/".

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin