[XeTeX] libkpathsea not found when compiling xdvipdfmx on OS X (Intel)

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Oct 6 14:46:40 CEST 2006

On 6 Oct 2006, at 1:25 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I've just attempted to compile xetex and xdvipdfmx from source on my
> brand new MacPro (hence Intel). The sources come from the tarballs at:
>
> http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xetex/TRUNK.tar.gz?view=tar
> http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/xdvipdfmx/TRUNK.tar.gz?view=tar
>
> With XeTeX, all goes well. With xdvipdfmx, I get:
[..snip..]
> checking for kpse_find_file in -lkpathsea... no
> configure: error: kpathsea library not found
> This version of dvipdfmx requires the kpathsea library and its
> headers. If
> you know where it is you might try setting the LDFLAGS environment
> variable
> with -L pointing to the directory containing libkpathsea.a.
>
> However, libkpathsea is indeed installed:
>
> theo8mc233:~/Desktop/TRUNK-xdvipdfmx bvoisin$ ls -l /usr/local/
> teTeX/lib
> total 1208
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  611240 Apr 25 09:14 libkpathsea.a
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  admin     695 Apr 26 07:56 libkpathsea.la

I know this is where gwTeX puts the library, but it's not a standard
system location and so configure doesn't find it automatically. Try

     configure --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/teTeX

and it should find the library.

You'll probably also have to tell it where to find Freetype2, unless
you've installed a package that puts the library and headers in a
standard place. I point it to the library and headers in my xetex
tree, e.g.:

     configure --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/teTeX
       --with-ft2lib=/Volumes/Beta/xetex/Work/libs/freetype2/.libs/
libfreetype.a
       --with-ft2include=/Volumes/Beta/xetex/libs/freetype2/include

(all as a single line, split here for readability; you'll need to
change the paths, of course).