[XeTeX] ArabXeTeX pre-release

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Nov 30 11:05:48 CET 2006

(I reply here to a message that was sent to me off-list, as I think it
might be of interest to others.).

Salut Juan!

Thanks for your enthusiastic reaction.

The reason why XeTeX tells you that its memory is exceeded is simple. In
your preamble you have:

    \renewcommand{\RL}[1]{{\textarab[fullvoc]{#1}}}

Since the command \RL is already defined in my bidi.sty, and is
contained in the \textarab macro definition, by redefining it you
triggered an infinite loop. So you should change all occurences of \RL
in your document into something else, \AR for example. I realize that by
having created the macros \RL and \LR in bidi.sty, I made it impossible
to compile legacy ArabTeX files without making some changes in the
source file. This is intentional: my package is intended to provide a
new, modern interface, at the cost of automatic backward-compatibility
with ArabTeX. But as you see, this is easy to fix. If you really think I
should rename the macros \RL and \LR in bidi.sty, it's of course still
possible to change them, but I will have to think about it.

Yet with your shortcut macro for \textarab[fullvoc] (let's say you now
call it \AR) you will encounter another problem that has to do with the
catcode redefinitions necessary for ArabTeX encoding. An easy solution,
which I shall document in the forthcoming beta version, is to include
those lines in your preamble:

    \makeatletter
    \def\AR{\bgroup\arabtex at codes\text at arab[fullvoc]}
    \makeatother

(In a future version I might try to make this easier by implementing
some mechanism similar to the \CustomVerbatimCommand in the fancyvrb
package. Suggestions are welcome.)

BTW, in order to compile your document (apart from changing the roman
font) I had to add definitions for \Ayn and \ayn, so I assume these are
defined in your custom version of xdiacomp?

Hope this helps.
Keep in touch!

Best wishes,
François