[XeTeX] Defining a ligature-like macro

Philipp Reichmuth reichmuth at web.de
Thu Nov 16 11:58:53 CET 2006

Will Robertson schrieb:
> On 11/16/06, James Crippen <jcrippen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What I'd like to have is something like a ligature such that when I
>> type "kh", depending on some variable setting I either get "kh" or
>> "\ul{k}" (or a similar macro) as the output.
>
> This is unfortunately impossible in TeX and XeTeX.

If he uses this for transliteration, I guess he could write a macro for
transliterating entire words that does the substitution for all of its
argument, and then go \mymacroname{khwaan}.  That has the added effect
that there is logical markup for transliterated text, so that you can
e.g. automatically have every transliterated piece typeset in italics
and that it is easier to go through your document for corrections.  I
used to do something like this for Arabic and Persian transliteration.

Philipp