[XeTeX] xelatex & MnSymbol

Sebastian Hanigk hanigk at in.tum.de
Sat Nov 11 15:35:48 CET 2006

Am 10.11.2006 um 11:18 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

Good day!

Sorry for not answering in a more timely manner ...

>> The MnSymbol fonts are bitmaps, although the author also provides
>> autotraced outline maps, I think. Anyway, here’s the page:
>> http://developer.berlios.de/projects/minionpro
>
> There are MF sources, but also two sorts of possible vector fonts:
> PFB and OTF. So in case the MnSymbol MAP fragment was not added to
> the MAP files a PK font is used in the PDF output. Which would
> explain Sebastian's observation ...

The problem was in fact the missing PFB and map files. When I was
installing the MnSymbol package (v1.3), the README said something
about the line that the PostScript fonts were of rather poor quality
and not necessarily needed so I skipped their installation.

Using the aforementioned package from berlios today, my sample TeX
file processed with pdflatex produces the desired output. It seems I
have to learn quite a bit about TeX's font handling.

Anyway, thanks for resolving this problem!

Sebastian