[XeTeX] [OS X TeX] TeXLive install issues

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Nov 10 16:53:12 CET 2006

On 10 Nov 2006, at 12:56 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 10 nov. 06 à 11:58, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

>> What I'll be trying right now is compiling from source using the
>> build-xetex script, then edit the script install-xetex by
>> commenting out the lines:
>>> # copy our texmf additions into the local texmf tree
[snip]
> That wasn't a good idea, as it produces a message about non-matching
> xetex.pool and ends up with a fail.

That would be because you're building the latest xetex code from
Subversion, which may be different from the version currently
included in the TL package. (The source in TL will be updated when a
new xetex release is ready, but doesn't track each change during
ongoing development.) One solution would be to copy the xetex.pool
file from the build into your current directory when building the
formats.

> What I did finally is just run install-xetex unmodified. One added
> bonus is that it is no longer necessary to add manually the recent
> updates to fontspec, euenc and ifxetex: they're included in TRUNK and
> installed by install-xetex in texmf.local.
>
> I just hope that all these files in texmf.local will be fully
> consistent with those already in texmf.texlive.

One potential issue is that if you now try to use the Intel xetex
from TL, and rebuild the format files, you'll get another .pool
mismatch (because it will find your new .pool from the PPC build).
Not a problem for you if you're using this setup on a single system,
but in principle it's an issue.

The solution, of course, is for the PPC and x86 versions to be built
from the same sources and included in the distribution together, so
that the .pool versions match. This should soon be the case, but for
right now you're living on the "bleeding edge"!