[XeTeX] hyphenating words with a hyphen

Ricard Roca ricardroca at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 17:45:40 CET 2006

Hi to all:

In classical TeX, words with a hyphen (like "by-product") are
automatically broken only at the hyphen, e.g. you can't get "by-prod-
uct" at the end of the line, because english rules doesn't allow this.
But in other languages, like catalan, with lots of words with a hyphen
(typically verb-pronoun), you are allowed to break these compound words
at places other than the hyphen. E.g. you can break "castigar" like
"cas-ti-gar", and so you can break the compound word "castigar-me" like
"cas-ti-gar-me". The english rules are coded into TeX-pdfTeX core, so
you can't change them and the only way to get proper catalan hyphenation
is writing things like castigar"-me (with LaTeX) or castigar|-|me (with
conTeXt) instead of castigar-me (making - active would be terrible).

XeTeX has the code that deals with hyphenation rewritten, I think. Could
it be possible to implement the possibility of breaking words with a
hyphen at places other than the hyphen (this would be inactive by
default and you could activate it with certain languages, like
\XeTeXdashbreakstate). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Ricard