[XeTeX] Release: fontspec v1.12 & euenc

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 04:05:18 CET 2006

Dear all,

I am pleased to announce version 1.12 of fontspec, which is available
from CTAN. Only two new features, plus a couple of internal tweaks/
bug fixes:

  - Support for "external" fonts that aren't installed; e.g.,
    \fontspec[ExternalLocation]{lmroman10-regular.otf}
    \fontspec[ExternalLocation=/Users/will/fonts/]{CharisSIL.otf}

  - The Latin Modern OpenType fonts are loaded by default;
    if you don't have or want them, load fontspec with the
    [cm-default] package option instead.

Download and installation instructions follow, for those who can't
wait for a new version of XeTeX to bundle the updates. (Who knows when.)

*** BRIEF DISCUSSION ***

This release marks the incorporation of LaTeX's encoding model into
how fontspec loads fonts. It is now a requirement to install the
"euenc" package that contains the EU1 font encoding. There are some
more detailed comments (and explanations) in the euenc.pdf
documentation file about what's going on here.

In the future, I would like to start incorporating some of xunicode's
basic features into this encoding, unless Ross can convince us that
it's better to forget about LaTeX's NFSS :)

With the TeX Gyre fonts project I just discovered (extension of the
ghostscript fonts to OpenType and 1000-odd extra multilingual
glyphs), having our own encoding to load fonts via XeTeX's external
font mechanism becomes increasingly important.
   <http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/>

Furthermore, a new encoding could be included for faking accents as
discussed in the thread "anti-xunicode ;-)" from July 21 this year. I
welcome further discussion on these points.

*** DOWNLOAD & INSTALLATION ***

1. The fontspec package is available from CTAN. It must be extracted
from the .dtx file by running `latex fontspec.ins` on the command line.
   <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/xetex/latex/fontspec/>

Place fontspec.sty and fontspec.cfg (if you want the backwards
compatibility it provides with old changes to fontspec's interfaces)
somewhere like
   ~/Library/texmf/tex/xelatex/fontspec/

2. The euenc package, v0.1:
   <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/xetex/latex/euenc/>

Place the eu1enc.def file and the lm/ subfolder somewhere like
   ~/Library/texmf/tex/xelatex/euenc/

3. Finally, the ifxetex package, v0.2:
   <http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/xetex/latex/ifxetex/>

***

Please report problems to the list. Good luck!

Will