[XeTeX] xelatex vs. pdflatex + otfinst

Sebastian Hanigk hanigk at in.tum.de
Fri Nov 3 16:56:16 CET 2006

Am 03.11.2006 um 01:17 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

Hello!

>> Now the question: what do you suggest?
>
> I won't try to answer this (I'd be biased, anyhow!), but have a
> couple of comments:

Well, I am perfectly aware that most likely no one on this list will
give statements along the lines of "use X, it's better than Y" *g* In
fact, I do not want this kind of answer.

> If you're running xelatex on Linux or Windows, or on Mac OS X using
> the xdvipdfmx output driver, then you should be able to use all the
> same math features as with standard (pdf)latex. The limitation on
> math (no virtual fonts, so only a few math typefaces are available)
> applies only when using the original xdv2pdf output driver on OS X.

Hmm. I am using xelatex on MacOS X on a G4, so I assume that the
standard driver is xdv2pdf. Is there any way to check or change?

>> furthermore I need to integrate my TeX engine with
>> MetaPost.
>
> I believe Metapost can be used with xetex; the ConTeXt people, at
> least, have been doing this for a long time.

The mptopdf utility uses ConTeXt AFAIK; it's on my list to
investigate if xelatex can be used in a similar way.

Best regards!

Sebastian