[XeTeX] Size of PDF files produced by XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 31 18:36:10 CEST 2006

Le 31 mai 06 à 17:19, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> You could try opening the PDF in Preview and saving a new copy with
> the "Reduce File Size" Quartz filter enabled (via the Save As dialog
> in Preview), or using the "Compress PDF" option from the Print
> dialog. I don't know exactly what effect each of these will have;
> you'll want to review the results and see if the graphics are still
> of a suitable quality, as I guess they'll affect the JPEG compression.

Thanks, as always. That was indeed the way forward. From a 7.3 MB PDF
file produced by XeTeX:

- The first suggestion (Save As in Preview, then Reduce File Size
Quartz filter) produces a 1.4 MB PDF file, but with significant loss
of resolution (visible when using magnification).

- The second solution (Print then Compress PDF in the PDF pull-down
"button") produces a 3 MB PDF file with no visible loss of
resolution. The user interface is odd (the file is first re-read in
Preview, then compression begins and the advancement is displayed in
the menu bar through messages, a spinning wheel and a Stop button).
This seems to be connected with the Compress PDF automator action,
defined in "/Library/PDF Services/Compress PDF.workflow". I opened
this action in Automator, but having never used Automator so far I
must admit I feel none the wiser; it seems the action offers a choice
between Flate and JPEG compression, with JPEG at minimal quality the
default.

I need to perform more checks, but it seems for the moment that this
way of reducing the file size is even more efficient than that (if
any) used by pdfTeX.

Bruno Voisin