[XeTeX] Free download: Microsoft Office 2007 beta 2

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 29 23:38:39 CEST 2006

� wrote:
>> BTW, there is a paper that discusses some aspects of Office's new math
>> typesetting. The PDF is typeset using Microsoft Word 2007 itself, and
>>

> As can be easily seen by the layout. :-)

no computer modern indeed -)

be careful, it's in this kind of reactions that texies ridicule their
world;

hm, i've seen as many badly done tex docs on the web as word docs; also,
i wonder how many tex users, with 100% confidence can recognize a tex
doc (i can't always, unless of course it's in latin modern; although i
admit that i see more and more badly typeset paragraphs (funny interchar
spacing and stretching of glyphs) showing up in scientific literature of
renowed publishers) ; maybe the math in the office doc is not what you
expect but the tables at least look better spaced than the average tex
doc. I admit that at a closer look the vertical spacing around math
looks funny

(you probably remember the hz optimization experiments we did at user
groups: texies didn't notice the hz at all, and when asked for what
looked better or not, were pretty focussed on the number of hyphenations
as a measure of quality (rivers were also noticed); according to hermann
zapf, probably 99+ % of the readers would not notice a vertical stretch
either so that would be a valid way to get nicely verticaly spaced docs;
i ran some experiments with that and indeed ...)

for a while i wondered if it was a tex doc, esp when i saw the hanging ,
on page 3 -)

just curious: how many programmers would like to write their program sin
the way as illustrated on page 33?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE