[XeTeX] XeTeX compile error in Gentoo Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 13:46:14 CEST 2006

OK, here is the important difference from the --kpathsea-debug
output, I believe:

> ----------pdftex --kpathsea-debug=8-----------

> kdebug:  compile-time path = {$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,
> $SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-local,}/web2c}:$TETEXDIR:/var/
> lib/texmf/web2c:/var/lib/texmf/web2c

> --------------- xetex --kpathsea-debug=8
> -------------------------------

> kdebug:  compile-time path = {$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,
> $SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-local,}/web2c}:$TETEXDIR:/usr/
> share/texmf/web2c:/usr/share/texmf/web2c

Note how pdftex has a compiled-in default search location of /var/lib/
texmf/web2c, but in xetex the corresponding location is /usr/share/
texmf/web2c.

A "quick fix" might be to create a symlink so that these locations
are actually the same, assuming /usr/share/texmf/web2c doesn't
already exist with different contents on your system:

	ln -s /var/lib/texmf/web2c /usr/share/texmf/web2c

or even perhaps make the symlink for the texmf level rather than web2c.

The real question, though, is why the xetex configuration gets this
wrong, giving you incorrect definitions in paths.h during the build.
There might be clues in the output of the configure script, but it
may be caused by changes in texk/kpathsea/texmf.in between the
different web2c versions -- I notice that there are quite a lot of
changes in the structure and even variable names used there.

There are a few possible ways forward that I can think of:

1. (simplest) work around the issue for now by symlinking texmf.cnf
or a directory above it so that xetex finds the configuration file

2. (better) figure out a way to tell the "configure" script, when
building xetex, where the right paths are, so that xetex paths match
pdftex paths

3. (long-term solution) merge the xetex sources with the current TeX
Live tree, so that all the binaries get built in the same way

I'm working towards (3) -- if you have a current TL source tree, it's
not difficult to add the xetex files and rebuild, but for full TL
integration there are still some library issues to work out. I can't
really help with (2) without having direct access to a system to
trace what's going on. But if you just want to try running something
right now, I believe (1) will work.