[XeTeX] XeTeX compile error in Gentoo Linux

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 29 11:43:19 CEST 2006

On 29 May 2006, at 9:50 am, 오인수 wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
> Tex-related executables  are  actually  located in /usr/bin.
> ---------
> [biost at erdos~]$ ls -l /usr/bin/tex
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 297096 2006-05-27 22:29 /usr/bin/tex
> ---------
> This location is gentoo standard when we install tetex system by
> emerge.
> So, I installed xetex binery in /usr/bin.

OK, that sounds correct. But clearly pdftex and xetex have different
ideas about paths.... let's try one more experiment. Please compare
the output of

	pdftex --kpathsea-debug=8
	xetex --kpathsea-debug=8

which should show the paths being searched for texmf.cnf, and where
the various paths come from (compile-time defaults, earlier config
files, etc).

Right now, I'm guessing that the problem is a difference in the
behavior of web2c 7.5.3 (in the current xetex sources) and 7.5.5
(used by your other tex software). And that might arise because the
main configure script didn't find texmf.cnf properly, and therefore
didn't generate a good paths.h file with correct initial settings for
your system. (You could look in Work/texk/kpathsea/paths.h to see
what was generated there.)

It could possibly be solved for now by putting a symlink to /var/lib/
texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf into a location where xetex will find it, but
that's obviously a hack. Once xetex gets merged into the main TL
tree, and built alongside the rest of the tex software, the issue
should disappear, but for now it should still work if the build was
configured successfully.