[XeTeX] Newbie question re XeTeX and BibTeX

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed May 24 18:43:38 CEST 2006

On May 24, 2006, at 11:27 AM, Steven Shaviro wrote:

> I did this, and the bibliography is indeed now set correctly in terms
> of curly quotes; but in the main body of the document, " in the
> source file is now translated into curly close quotes, regardless of
> whether it is at the start or the end of a quotation. So I have
> gained proper formatting in the bibliography, but lost smart-quotes
> behavior in the body of the text. What am I still doing wrong?

You'll have to go back and either replace the " with `` and '' or
replace the opening quotes with their UTF-8 versions, Opt-[ on the US
keyboard (are the Opt keys the same on all keyboards?).

Make sure TeXShop is saving the file as UTF-8 for XeTeX use. Put the
line

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

near the top of the file and TeXShop will always save it as UTF-8
even if your default is different.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest.com)