[XeTeX] papersize special and memoir (and other?) documentclasses

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon May 22 22:45:29 CEST 2006

On 22 May 2006, at 9:02 pm, William Adams wrote:

> Okay, a \documentclass{minimal}\special{papersize=6in,6in}\begin
> {document}test\end{document} works.
>
> But it stops working if I switch to memoir.
>
> Has anyone done any investigation into this?
>
> I've tried sticking in the \AtBeginDvi{\special{papersize=\the
> \stockwidth,\thestockheight}} command which seemed reasonable from
> the source, but as discussed here previously, this continues to only
> work on the second and successive pages.

I haven't looked at memoir in particular, but I'm fairly confident
that this means the class is doing something to generate output
before the \special from \AtBeginDvi. This can happen if the class
modifies the \output routine, for example, and wraps something around
the normal output (to which \AtBeginDvi gets prefixed). There was a
similar problem with crop.sty, IIRC, and some discussion of a patch/
workaround... try the list archives. That might point you towards a
solution for memoir.