[XeTeX] about xdvipdfmx in Mac OSX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat May 20 15:29:20 CEST 2006

Le 20 mai 06 à 14:29, Dalyoung a écrit :

> I have read that xdvipdfmx is the default driver for XeTeX in Linux.
> Is it also true for Mac OSX? But, there is no xdvipdfmx in my Mac
> system(G5, OSX 10.4.6).
> If XeTeX+ConTeXt need xdvipdfmx, how to make it in Mac OS X?

You will find some instructions in yesterday's thread "[XeTeX] cmyk
colour support broken?", and ancilliary thread "[XeTeX] compile
xdvipdfmx on Mac OS X". Jonathan (Kew) also gives there some pros and
cons why you might not really want to build xdvipdfmx at this stage.

See <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-May/thread.html#3626>.

I won't have time to try it myself, but I must admit I would
otherwise quite like to. Getting multi-platform feels exciting, and
is probably a bonus for XeTeX in the academic world where
interoperability is more or less mandatory (think collaborative work
involving people in different countries on different hardwares and
OSes). It would also be nice to have a convergence of xdv2pdf and
xdvipdfmx at some point in the future.

I find very exciting the speed of development of XeTeX now, and all
the suggestions for improvement coming for many people related to
different aspects of XeTeX (glyph metrics, \XeTeXmathchar, color
treatment, ConTeXt compatibility, and so forth). Plus the possibility
of porting to Windows in the future. I just hope Jonathan can keep up
with the pace the todo list is growing!

Bruno Voisin