[XeTeX] Failed make XeTeX in Fedora Core 4

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri May 19 12:09:03 CEST 2006

On 19 May 2006, at 10:20 am, Sukhi Venkat (TnQ) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Help!!
> We tried to make xetex in Fedora Core 4, but got:
> [snip]
> make[3]: Entering directory `/root/Desktop/xetex-0.991/TeX/texk/web2c'
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `bibtex.web', needed by
> `bibtex.p'.
> Stop.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/xetex-0.991/TeX/texk/web2c'
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/xetex-0.991/TeX/texk'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Desktop/xetex-0.991/TeX'
> make: *** [all] Error 1

That seems odd... I wouldn't expect it to be looking for bibtex sources!

What exact commands did you use to try and build the code? I believe
some folks at or after the BachoTeX conference were able to build it
on FC4. Did you read the notes under "Building from scratch" on the
web page <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex_linux>? You can't use a
simple ./configure && make sequence from the top of the source tree,
as the current source package is based on a stripped-down texlive
tree and the configuration process won't work right.

Check the notes, and the build-xetex script; and if that doesn't help
you, then please give more exact details of what you're doing, and
I'll try to figure out what's going wrong.