[XeTeX] Versions and AAT features in Hoefler Text

Adam Twardoch list.adam at twardoch.com
Tue May 16 01:11:57 CEST 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> In principle, there could be other implementations of AAT layout (and
> in fact, ICU Layout does support some AAT features, though XeTeX
> doesn't make use of this); ATSUI is the only complete one around,
> though (AFAIK).

To some extent, you might consider FontLab Studio's and TransType Pro's
ability to consume AAT tables and convert them into OpenType Layout
tables "implementation of AAT layout" of some sort. It's by no means
complete but with FontLab Studio on Windows, you actually are able to
make use of an AAT font, typeset some text in the Preview panel and
apply some features. FontLab Studio is not really intended for the
purpose of text composition, of course, but it is possible.

Similarly, FontForge's ability to convert some of the features between
the two systems also makes it an AAT layout implementation of some sort.

A.

--

Adam Twardoch
http://www.twardoch.com/

When J. Robert Oppenheimer said "I am become death, the destroyer
of worlds", he was not referring to the atomic bomb. He was
referring to the Chuck Norris halloween costume he was wearing.